The first historical reference to Krzeszowice comes from 1286 where
the bishop Paweł of Przemanków granted Fryczek Freton of Bytom with
a charter for establishing a village organisational unit called "sołectwo"
in an already existing village of "Cressouicy", following
A church existed here probably in 1337. According to Długosz in the
late 15th century there was a wooden St. Martin church in Krzeszowice,
as well as a school, a tavern and a parish farm.
In 1555 Krzeszowice became the property of Stanisław Tęczyński
and was incorporated into "the county of Tęczyn". Further
on it belonged to the families of Opaliński, Czartoryski, Lubomirski,
and - after 1816 - the Potocki family.
Following the spa reorganisation caused by discovery of therapeutic
springs, in 1778 Duke August Czartoryski built the first baths -
the first patients arrived as early as in the next year. Due to
the spa's development in 1783-86 the palace of "Vauxhall"
was erected, and later in 1819 the building referred to as "the
Green Baths"(after 1858 named "Zofia").
The external proof of Krzeszowice's significance was that in 1809-1815
and 1855-1867 the town was the site of a separate region of Krzeszowice,
and later the regional court was still residing there, having 29
villages under its jurisdiction.
In 1829 Zofia Potocka founded a hospital for employees of Tęczyn
estate, which, following Artur Potocki's order during the October
Uprising (1830-31) was rendered available to insurgents seeking
refuge in the Republic of Kraków. In 1842-43 "Artur's Refuge
House" was built for the poor. One of the most interesting
buildings is a Neogothic church erected in 1832 and 1840-44 designed
by K.F. Schinkel; the finishing works lasted till 1874.
In 1847 the railway line was built through Krzeszowice, from Kraków
to Mysłowice, and in 1850 Krzeszowice was granted the charter for
Due to the nation's thraldom, the local people were involved both
in the Kraków Uprising (1846) and in the January Uprising (1863);
the neighbouring villages are important points for armament and
insurers being smuggled to the Kingdom.
In 1850-55 the Potocki family erected, according to the design
of F.M. Lancia, an Italian Renaissance palace. In parallel to the
palace construction, a landscape park with English park features
was prepared. The palace was inhabited as late as in 1862 and minor
reconstructions, in particular of the interior, were made till 1870.
At the end of 19th century Krzeszowice faced the period of intense
industrial and urban development. New manufacturing plants were
established: [stycharskie(?)] and potter's (c.a. 1880), a steam-powered
sawmill (c.a. 1894), a barrel factory (c.a.1894), a factory of facade
mortar (1900), a roofing-tile and drain pipe factory and a mineral
colour factory (1906), a factory of cement and concrete products
In 1919 the Community Council applied for granting Krzeszowice with
municipal rights, however, as late as on December 3, 1924 the place
received the status of a little town. Krzeszowice's municipal rights
confirmation took place on October 18, 1933.